Colgate® PreviDent® Varnish (Rx, In-office Treatment)
A topical fluoride which improves sensitivity
1 mL of this suspension contains 50 mg sodium fluoride, equivalent to 22.8 mg fluoride ion, in an alcoholic solution of synthetic resin.
PreviDent® comes in a ready-to-use unit-dose treatment. Product application is smooth, even, and quick as it dries to natural enamel color. PreviDent® is available in great-tasting raspberry and mint flavors.
- 4x greater fluoride uptake vs 3M™ Vanish™ Varnish in lesioned enamel1
- 5% sodium fluoride, clinically proven for hypersensitivity relief 2-4
- Contains Xylitol
1. Data on file. Colgate-Palmolive Company. 2012.
2. Gaaffer A, et al. Compend Contin Educ. 1998; 19(11):1088-1090, 1092, 1094 passim.
3. Clark DC, Hanley JA, Geoghegan S, et al. J Periodontal Res. 1985;20(2):212-219.
4. Ritter AV, de L DiasW, miguez P, et al J Am Dent Assoc. 2006;137(7):1013-1020.
3M Vanish™ Varnish is a trademark of 3M company.
PreviDent® 5% Sodium Fluoride Varnish contains 22,600 ppm fluoride. It has a strong desensitizing action when applied to dental surfaces, treating hypersensitivity quickly and easily. This product sets rapidly on contact with saliva, resulting in patient comfort and acceptance. PreviDent® Varnish will leave a thin film on the teeth after application.
1 mL of this suspension contains 50 mg sodium fluoride, equivalent to 22.8 mg fluoride ion, in an alcoholic solution of synthetic resins.
PreviDent® Varnish is a topical fluoride for the treatment of dentinal sensitivity.
To be administered by the dental professional for the treatment of dentin hypersensitivity.
Directions for Use
Please observe when treating hypersensitive teeth
- Wash and dry tooth surface.
- Mix well prior to application.
- Apply product with supplied brush in the conventional manner.
- Thin excess varnish on the tooth's surface until the varnish surface is dry.
- Covers even moist teeth with a coating of varnish film for several hours which occludes the openings of the dentinal tubules.
- Hardens on contact with saliva so the patient may leave immediately after application of the product.
- It is recommended that the patient be instructed to eat only soft foods for 2 hours after treatment.
Ulcerative gingivitis and stomatitis.
When PreviDent® Varnish is applied, other fluoride preparations such as fluoride gels should not be administered during the same day. The routine use of fluoride tablets should be interrupted for several days after treatment.
Edematous swellings have been reported only in rare instances in some fluoride varnish products, especially after application to extensive surfaces. Dyspnea, although extremely rare, has occurred in asthmatic children. Nausea has been reported when extensive applications have been made. If required, varnish film can be removed with a thorough brushing. Store in a cool, dry place.